Low Level Light Therapy
What is Low Level Laser Therapy ?
Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT), also known as Photobiomodulation, is an advanced medical technique that uses light in the form of ‘photons’. This light or ‘photons’ stimulate the body at a cellular level which then promote cellular function and regeneration.
As LLLT uses cold (non-thermal) laser to speed up cell regeneration, it is a very safe and extremely effective treatment option for a number of skin and body conditions.
The benefits include reducing pain and inflammation, and accelerating tissue repair and regeneration.
How does it work?
Lasers are essentially a form of highly-focused light, and medical-grade cold lasers in particular are used to promote cell stimulation and renewal without heat or discomfort to the affected areas, either on or within the skin.
Similar to how the skin absorbs sunlight to produce Vitamin D, when laser light is applied to the skin through a process called Photobiomodulation, the cellular energy ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) levels increase in the Mitochondria (powerhouse of the cells). This increased cellular charge promotes cellular function including tissue repair, inflammation and pain relief, assisting the body in bringing cells back to order from chaos.
Increased ATP levels in the Mitochondria (the powerhouse of the cells) promote stimulation and regeneration of damaged tissue, encouraging cellular renewal as well as collagen and elastin growth. This results in a decrease in inflammation, redness, pain and discomfort.
Medical grade, red and infra-red wavelengths make the laser powerful enough to penetrate into nerves, muscles and other tissues allowing it to work on a much deeper level compared to other treatment therapies. The damaged area becomes noticeably stronger with increased lymphatic drainage and faster recovery. The gentle and non-invasive nature of the therapy means it can be used anywhere on the face or body.
Main functions of LLLT
- Reduce Inflammation– By increasing the amount of microcirculation of blood and lymphatic drainage, as well as anti-inflammatory compounds into the inflamed area.
- Reduce Pain– By stimulating increased levels of natural analgesics or pain-killers (beta-endorphins), long-lasting relief from pain and discomfort can be achieved without the use of drugs. This can be achieved for both acute and chronic physiological conditions as well as on trigger points in musculoskeletal areas.
- Accelerate Tissue Repair– By affecting the mitochondria, LLLT accelerates ATP production (cellular energy). This increases and accelerates the overall activity of the cells responsible for repairing tissue (bone, muscle, ligament, skin, and nerves). Increased rate of repair, results in regenerated or healed tissue with improved quality and strength. Scar tissue (both new and old) shows improvement with minimised adhesions and scarring.
LLLT increases the production of endogenous opioids, serotonin, acetylcholine and nitric oxide in the skin, which brings oxygen, fuel molecules and other metabolites to injured tissues. These stimulate the natural healing processes and aids in resolving inflammation as well as have a selective inhibitory effect on pain.
What can be treated?
LLLT stimulates the body’s repair processes, while optimizing the speed of repair in acute injuries where non-healing or chronic conditions are present.
As LLLT is such a gentle, non-invasive and painless therapy, it can be used to successfully treat a wide variety of skin and body conditions:
Conditions treated with success:
- Allergic reactions (such as hives)
- Amputee post op.
- Ankle, knee and hip pain
- Athletes Foot
- Bacterial infections
- Back, neck and joint pain
- Bell’s Palsy
- Viral infection
- Wound healing
- Bed sores
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Cold sores (Facial herpes)
- Diabetic sores
- Folliculitis (infection and inflammation of hair follicles)
- Fracture Healing
- Hair Loss
- Temporomandibular Disorder
- Muscles and joint inflammation
- Nail Fungus
- Pinched nerves
- Post op healing
- Rotar cuff tendinitis/ Impinement
- Skin rejuvenation and firming
- Spider bites
- Sports injuries
BENEFITS OF LLLT
There are many benefits to Low Level Laser Therapy including:
- Safe, non-invasive and painless with no side-effects
- Highly effective with more than 90% efficacy
- Can be used as a natural alternative to surgery
- Works synergistically when combined with other treatments
- Superior alternative to pain-killer medications
- Increases cellular growth – Accelerates cell reproduction and growth
- Pain Reduction – Stimulates beta-endorphin production (natural pain-killers) to achieve long- lasting pain relief for acute and chronic conditions, without the use of drugs
- Rapid Wound Healing – Accelerates collagen synthesis in injured tissues by stimulating fibroblast development
- Inflammation Reduction – Improves joint mobility caused by joint inflammation or bruising, as well as reducing associated fibrosis
- Increases Micro-circulation – Increases blood flow to affected areas through temporary vasodilation and enhances lymphatic drainage which aids in toxins expulsion
- Optimises Soft Tissue Repair – Reduces scar tissue formation resulting from scratches, cuts, burns and post-surgery
- Stimulates Nerve Growth and Regeneration – Accelerates nerve cell reconnection to stimulate sensation in damaged tissue in numb or “dead” areas
- Increases Metabolic Process – Stimulates greater ATP production due to higher outputs of specific enzymes which release nutrients and oxygen for blood cell circulation, and a stronger immune response. It gives the cells the energy (ATP) they need to repair themselves
How effective is it?
LLLT has undergone extensive laboratory and clinical research and testing, with conclusive proof of its effectiveness particularly in recent years.. This has enabled healthcare practitioners world-wide to successfully treat a variety of patients, in a variety of facilities including skin clinics, medical clinics, hospitals and universities,
It is used by health professionals worldwide, effectively treating skin conditions, musculoskeletal pains, cartilage and joint problems, soft tissue injuries, swelling and inflammations. It is also an effective treatment for scars and burns The technology is scientifically-proven in treating particularly stubborn conditions that are difficult to treat, and is also an excellent solution for pain management
Can anyone have Low Level Laser Therapy?
Yes, as it is gentle, painless and safe for all skin types, conditions and colours it is an ideal treatment for everyone, with no downtime involved. The few exceptions include cancer patients and pregnant women.
How many treatments will I need?
Recent or acute injuries normally respond the quickest to treatment, where you may notice a significant difference within the first few visits. Long-term or chronic conditions normally take longer to respond, especially if they have been present for years. This means noticeable improvement may take anywhere from days to weeks.
In either case, as your specific condition and its severity determines the number of treatments required, a customized treatment plan is designed during the first consultation where you will be advised of the best course of treatment for your unique situation
Will it hurt?
No, as it is a gentle, non-abrasive, and 100% pain-free treatment, this totally eliminates the pain and discomfort element. Being non-thermal it does not heat or hurt the skin, and does not damage the tissue or cause other complications. There are also no special care requirements to worry about pre and post-treatment.